Updated March 24, 2020 at 1:00 PM PST
Coronavirus Information and Resources for Travelers, Community Members and Travel Industry Professionals
Visit Bellevue has been proactively monitoring news of the coronavirus, officially named COVID-19, originating from Hubei Province, China since late January. We are working with the Port of Seattle, the City of Bellevue, airlines and other travel partners to watch the situation daily. Simply put, this global outbreak is significant. Visit Bellevue will continue to monitor the situation. We are in direct communication with our travel partners for real-time updates and are happy to provide further information to partners, clients and visitors. We encourage you to contact us if you have any have specific questions for our team.
Washington State Safety Measures
The State of Washington has made significant efforts to reduce the spread of the the virus and Governor Jay Inslee issued a Stay Home, Stay Healthy proclamation, which will remain in place until at least April 8th. This directive requires that every Washingtonian to stay home unless they need to pursue an essential activity, banning all public and private gatherings for social, spiritual and recreational purposes and closes all non-essential businesses (grocery stores and restaurants are not included in the ban, but they will be asked to follow specific guidelines). Hotels, restaurant take-out operations, car rental companies, transportation companies and some other types of tourism businesses are deemed essential and remain open. The proclamation also states it’s still safe for people to go outside as long as they follow social distancing rules.
Guidance For Traveler Health
The Port of Seattle released an official update, highlighting their robust actions to contain the outbreak and ensure public safety, which includes screening at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) that began on January 30. We are in touch with our local airport and health officials to monitor the situation.
World Health Organization Guidance
Containing the Outbreak + Maintaining Public Health
Bellevue's hotels, attractions, restaurants and businesses are taking swift action to ensure their environments and properties are clean and safe. Keeping the public healthy and well is the highest priority to us, so the following action has been taken by our partners:
- Placed dedicated teams cleaning our public areas and high touch points all day long, using approved Ecolab chemicals proven to disinfect surfaces for viruses similar to COVID-19
- Instituted additional preventative actions focused on disinfecting frequently touched surfaces
- Increased Lobby Porter staffing with a focus on public area sanitation
- Purchased additional standing hand sanitizer stations and wall mounted dispensers that are placed throughout hotels and the convention center
- Created awareness with staff to ensure that everyone is using peroxide chemical cleaner to continually wipe down all contact areas and that everyone is continually washing hands/using sanitizer stations as a way to prevent any spread of germs.
- Purchased higher levels of Personal Protective Equipment to ensure staff are not spreading germs or contamination while cleaning/servicing the rooms. Placed extra sanitizing stations in the back of house to ensure good habits are encouraged
- Placed signage in the event public areas and restrooms to encourage hand washing
- Trash cans near the doors inside the restrooms to assist guests open the doors with a tissue