Destination Sales Manager Position
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time Exempt
Visit Bellevue serves as Bellevue, Washington’s Official Destination Management Organization. Our mission is to stimulate economic growth and development in Bellevue’s visitor economy and inspire memorable visitor experiences. Visit Bellevue is guided by an advisory board comprised of civic and tourism industry leaders with oversight by the Bellevue Convention Center Authority (BCCA) and Bellevue Tourism Promotion Area (TPA) with ongoing recommendations from our four Bellevue Tourism Councils.
We strive to be a collective voice to develop, grow, and manage Bellevue’s hospitality and tourism community and build our industry to further increase our overall economic impact to $2 billion by the end of 2023. Through the impact of travel, by increasing the number of visitors, and through the implementation of Bellevue's Destination Development Plan, we strengthen Bellevue's economic position, bringing direct economic benefit to our city and providing an elevated quality of life for our community.
Visit Bellevue’s Destination Sales Manager is responsible for the ongoing effective selling and marketing Bellevue as a premier destination for conventions, meetings, sports, and events.
Visit Bellevue’s Destination Sales Manager will represent destination tourism venues including, area hotels, meeting space, businesses, sports facilities, and Meydenbauer Center to their assigned group market segments and event professionals as well as leisure and transient markets.
The primary focus of Visit Bellevue destination sales is the sale of space for “long term” (outside of twelve (12) months) events, conventions, meetings, and competitions to local, state, national and international client base that produces more than 250 hotel rooms. The Destination Sales Manager must be able to research each market segment to identify qualified leads and pursue each lead with a strong sales effort. This position requires extensive public contact, good organizational and communication skills, and attention to detail.
The Visit Bellevue Destination Sales Manager is an experienced and initiative-taking professional with a passion for destination sales and marketing and able to employ unique destination sales and marketing techniques. He/She/They are a skilled persuasive sales strategist and communicator able to drive creativity, enthusiasm, and execution for Visit Bellevue destination sales programs and excel at sales prospecting, follow-up, event services, site visits, FAM’s, and partner relations.
- Actively sells Bellevue as a destination for meetings, conventions, sports, and events. Partnering with city venues, facilities, Bellevue hotels, sports commission, Meydenbauer Center, and other Bellevue venues and attractions for the convention, meeting, and event clients in specified market segments.
- Manage all prospects and bookings from beginning to end, including generating lead, sending to convention center and hotel partners, turning booking definite, and through successful convention services as needed.
- Ongoing management of a comprehensive database of clients, potential clients, and all sales activity on an ongoing basis.
- Implements all sales programs and projects for effective targeted sales campaigns to achieve desired outcomes as directed by the Director of Destination Sales and in partnership with team members.
- Participates in national, regional, and state tradeshows as needed.
- Plans, executes, and participates in overnight, multi-day, business trips relating to destination sales as required.
- Actively participates in targeted tourism and meetings industry associations to network and obtain new leads.
- Conducts prospecting and outreach via all viable channels (cold calls) and directs written correspondence to prospective destination, group, non-group, hotel and Meydenbauer Center convention, meeting, and event clients to schedule sales presentations and tours.
- Performs sales calls and presentations to prospective clients at their organizations. May be required to transport sales materials and promotional items to off-site locations.
- Plans and conducts tours, site visits and sales presentations at hotels, venues, attractions, and Meydenbauer Center for prospective destination, group, non-group, hotel and Meydenbauer Center convention, meeting, and event clients.
- Maintains strong business relationships with current or potential sales clients through regular contact via personal visits, phone calls, e-mails, and digital and written correspondence. Maintains a positive and professional image and builds an effective rapport with clients and prospective clients.
- Develops and identifies new leads via research, telemarketing, networking, and business interception practices.
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding weekly and monthly sales activity goals and requirements, including new lead identification, sales calls, industry activity, site visits and tours, written proposals, and bookings. to advance Bellevue’s destination development strategies, meeting Visit Bellevue’s key sales performance indicators, goals, and expectations on an ongoing basis.
- Develops and maintains an accurate, up to date and comprehensive knowledge of capabilities of destination venues, businesses, partners, attractions, Meydenbauer Center and area hotels and can effectively utilize this knowledge as a sale and/or planning tool matching those capabilities with the needs of the client or prospective client.
- Prepares ongoing sales plans and sales activity reports that accurately reports sales efforts.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
DESTINATION SALES MANAGER KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS & GOALS
Effective Prospecting & Qualified Lead Development
Effective & Organized Sales Management
Outstanding Sales Proposals, Presentations & Branding for Bellevue
Networking, Teamwork & Partnership Skills
Knowledge & Professionalism
ALLOCATION OF TIME
Sales Prospecting: 30% – 40%
Active Sales, Networking, & Sales Management: 30% – 40%
Database Management, Follow Up, and Administrative: 20% -30%
Projects, Meetings & Collaboration: 5%
Events, Activities & Other: 5%
- Customer/Client Focus
- Critical Thinking
- Financial Acumen
- Quality Control
- Training/Team Development
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Advertising, or another related field.
- Two (2) years of experience in hospitality sales and marketing, with emphasis on group business preferably in a convention hotel or large facility.
- Competent with word processing, spreadsheet, and database systems.
- Other equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Performs all duties in a professional, productive manner with emphasis on client satisfaction, to ensure the success of Visit Bellevue.
- Ability to tactfully deal with staff, clients, the general public and the tourism and hospitality community.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients, as well as enjoy relating and conversing with others.
- Ability to express self clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain a professional image.
- Knowledge of personal computer and related software, specifically Word, Excel, and CRM’s.
- Knowledge of marketing and public relations principles as they relate to booking space and catering sales.
- Ability to accurately handle a multitude of details and work within a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to prepare and write sales reports and coherent correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups, regardless of size, and employees of the organization.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATIONS OR LICENSES
- A valid Washington State driver's license is required.
- A Certified Tourism Ambassador (CTA) credential is preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works indoors in an office environment utilizing standard office equipment including personal computer and associated software and peripherals.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear.
- The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, and occasionally reach with hands and arms.
- The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions due to travel requirements.
- The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate.
Visit Bellevue provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This statement applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
$80,000 per year plus sales incentive program and full benefits package