Satpreet Kahlon: the inscrutable shape of longing
- 510 Bellevue Way NE, Bellevue, WA 98004
- (425) 519-0770
- Presented By: Bellevue Arts Museum
- Dates: September 23, 2023 - December 31, 2023
- Categories: Family Friendly, Multi-cultural, Museums & Exhibits, Public Shows/Exhibits, Arts
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Location: Bellevue Arts Museum
- Time: 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Price: Adult $15 Youth (Age 7–17) $8 Senior (Age 65+)/Student/Military $12 Family $35 TeenTix $5 Children under 6 FREE BAM members FREE
SEPT 23 – DEC 31, 2023
Satpreet Kahlon was the winner of the 2021 BAM Biennial: Architecture & Urban Design Award of Excellence. This award comes with the opportunity to present a solo exhibition at BAM.
In her sculptures and installations, Satpreet Kahlon explores the messiness, contradictions, and nuances of living inside a body shaped by one’s lived experience and by one’s cultural and ancestral history. Kahlon was born in Bhagowal, India near the Pakistani border and raised in the United States. As a child of the Panjabi diaspora, Kahlon’s familial history is deeply intertwined with the precarious aftermath of colonization and geographic displacement. As writer and academic Saidiya Hartman writes, "the loss of stories sharpens the hunger for them." To explore these histories and how they have come to bear, Kahlon is building an immersive installation that delves into what has been lost while cultivating the possibility for healing and comfort.
Featured Art: Satpreet Kahlon, the inscrutable shape of longing (in progress), 2023. Image: Courtesy of the artist