Director of Marketing & Communications
Visit Bellevue serves as Bellevue, Washington’s Official Destination Management Organization. Our mission is to stimulate economic growth and development in Bellevue’s tourism - visitor economy and inspire memorable visitor experiences. Visit Bellevue is guided by an advisory board comprised of civic and tourism industry leaders with oversight by the Bellevue convention center authority and future Bellevue Tourism Promotion Area with ongoing recommendations from our four Bellevue Tourism Councils.
We strive to be a collective voice to develop, grow, and manage Bellevue’s Hospitality and Tourism community and build our industry to further increase our overall economic impact to $2 billion by the end of 2023. Through the impact of travel, by increasing the number of visitors, and through the implementation of Bellevue's destination development plan, we strengthen Bellevue's economic position, bringing direct economic benefit to our city and providing an elevated quality of life for our community.
Visit Bellevue’s Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for the oversight, supervision, and implementation of Visit Bellevue’s destination marketing and communications programs.
The Visit Bellevue Director of Marketing & Communications is a director-level leadership team member responsible and accountable for the overall success of this important department within Visit Bellevue. The primary role of this position is to skillfully implement the destination branding, marketing, and communications strategies, priorities and plans based on the Bellevue Destination Development Plan to strengthen Bellevue as a premier visitor destination.
The Visit Bellevue Director of Marketing & Communication is an experienced and self-motivated professional with a passion for destination marketing and communications and able to employ unique destination marketing techniques. He/She/They is a skilled persuasive marketing strategist and communicator able to drive creativity and enthusiasm in others in the leadership and execution for Visit Bellevue marketing and communications initiatives including destination branding, marketing, advertising, convention & meetings, tourism development, public relations, and media relations.
• The ongoing development, direction, and implementation of the comprehensive destination marketing and communications plan(s) and programs to advance Bellevue’s destination development strategies and drive Visit Bellevue’s key performance indicators.
• Develops, oversees, and implements all branding, marketing, and communications strategy, programs, and projects, ensuring timely execution, properly managing 3rd party vendors, following policy, and that meets the allocated budget, policies, and scope of work.
• Develops, oversees, and manages all websites, collateral material, mobile, social media, earned media, and public relations.
• Provide ongoing assistance, support, and guidance to other Visit Bellevue departments, team members, professionals, partners, and stakeholders.
• Monitors performance, tracking, provides reports, data, analysis, and recommendations on an ongoing basis.
• Responsible for the successful curation of content for Visit Bellevue including publications, collateral communications, online presence, digital and editorial opportunities. Ensure all collateral materials have a consistent message and maintain the Visit Bellevue brand as well as oversee the editing and proofing of all copy, layouts, etc.
• Direct and manage market research to benchmark and monitor Visit Bellevue’s efforts, Bellevue’s market position, and to keep abreast of industry trends and competitor’s activity.
• Act as a liaison with all vendors including agencies, firms, and other consultants to ensure the integrity of Visit Bellevue and it’s role as the official destination marketing and management organization.
• Work to ensure Bellevue is conveyed in the regional, national, and international media consistent with our brand and message. Develop and maintain proactive relationships with local media to ensure positive stories are told to the local Bellevue community regarding the visitor economy.
• Communicate and promote Visit Bellevue partner programs and cooperative opportunities to partners to ensure maximum participation/value and to foster coordinated efforts.
• Oversee the development and implementation of all marketing and communication assets including video and photography initiatives, project management, assisting with location scouting, editing and script development as necessary and on an ongoing basis.
• Maintain oversight of a crisis communication plan. Monitor and direct Visit Bellevue’s involvement in said crisis as necessary.
• Support the Executive Director in all aspects of marketing and communications for Visit Bellevue, overseeing external communications on leadership's behalf as necessary. Work closely with Visit Bellevue Executive Director to ensure success of the Bellevue Destination Development Plan.
• Lead or serve on appropriate marketing and communication committees and councils representing department programs, strategy, projects, initiatives, and other activities.
• Attend trade shows, conferences, seminars, and events as needed to represent Visit Bellevue and/or furthering awareness, building a network, storytelling and influencing within the industry.
• Assists in the leadership, planning, coordination, and execution of Visit Bellevue events and other Visit Bellevue industry events.
• Maintain effective use of CRM, CMS, Simpleview, Cision, Crowdriff, and all other Visit Bellevue software and management platforms.
• Maintain membership in marketing and communications professional associations and industry trade groups for the purpose of improving professional skills and taking advantage of opportunities to develop industry partners, carry the Visit Bellevue brand forward and stay engaged in industry-related issues.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
• Minimum Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Business Administration, Marketing, Communications, and a minimum of five years’ experience in destination marketing, convention, marketing, visitor, hospitality or leisure promotion, or travel related activities requiring sales and marketing leadership.
• Considerable experience supporting clients, media, agency, hospitality industry, city officials, board of directors, and teaming with co-workers required.
• Ability to carry out job requirements without supervision. Some travel and flexible hours will be required.
• Proven experience as Marketing and Communications Leader
• Excellent leadership, project management and organizing skills
• Analytical and creative thinking
• Exquisite communication and interpersonal skills
• Up to speed with current, traditional, and digital marketing techniques and best practices
• Thorough knowledge of web and search techniques and analytics (e.g. Google Analytics, WebTrends etc.)
• Customer-oriented approach with aptitude
• Destination professional certifications a plus
• Relevant skills and qualifications based on responsibilities
Please note this job description is not designed to cover a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job as they may change at any time, with or without notice.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel or operate objects, tools or controls, and to reach with
hands and arms. He/she is frequently required to sit for extended periods of time as well as stand, bend and/or stoop, talk and hear. He/she must be able to drive and occasionally lift up to 40 pounds.
Visit Bellevue provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This statement applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
COMPENSATION: $110,000 first year including full benefits package.